Student Resources - Technology
> Return to Student Resources
Lorenzo Walker Institute and Technical High School is proud to offer extensive access, for both students and teachers, to industry-standard, 21st-century technology tools.
- Over 1,000 computers are available throughout the campus for students to use to do class work, research on the Internet and remediate academic skills
- Laptops are available for adult students in the media center area for Internet access for instructional research and access to e-mail, and are provided one-to-one to all students in the technical high school
- The entire campus has a wireless-accessible Wide Area Network, so anyone can simply bring a laptop and connect to the Internet for research and e-mail.
- Video projection systems, Mosy's, Mimio boards, and document cameras in all classrooms allow for projects, presentations, instructional modeling, and interactive 'smart board' access for all.
- Interactive "clicker" technology (think of the audience participation in "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire"!) allows teachers to ask students questions and to which they individually respond, providing the teacher with immediate feedback regarding student comprehension.
- Do you blog, wiki, or create podcasts? LWIT and LWTHS embrace Web 2.0 and continue both professional development and technology acquisition in order to provide the most interactive, engaging education possible.
- Health Science computers allows students to utilize the Medical Manager for electronic recording keeping, Virtual Clinical Excursions for assessments and charting, and Assessment Technologies WEB based application to prepare for licensure.
- Two state-of-the-art human simulators bring our programs to the cutting edge of current health care education! Imagine being able to simulate reviving an infant who is choking or in chardiac arrest. Our students have had that experience and thier confidence shows.
- A computer lab in our automotive program allows students to engage in automotive simulations where they are required to diagnose problems and implement repairs.
- Two fully-equipped business labs prepare students as accountants, administrative assistants, and legal or medical administrative specialists.
- Need to know the cost of a recipe or its nutritional analysis? In culinary we have the software that can do just that.
- Do you want to make a movie? Our 9th grade technology class students are using Maya 3D animation software to do just that. Other applications such as Premiere Pro and Rhino further enhance their technology education.
- Need to create a WEB site? Our students are using the most popular WEB publishing software, Adobe, which includes DreamWeaver, Fireworks and Flash.
- A computerized Assessment Center is available for students to take the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE).
- Need to work on your skills in reading, mathematics or language? A complete computer lab, staffed with teachers and tutors, will assist you in bringing up your basic skills. Remediation software is also available for student access on every computer station throughout the campus.