Teaching in the Trades
Teaching in the Trades is a program that is designed for career changers and existing educators who have an interest in educating students at all levels (both children and adults) about careers in the trades industries. The goal of the program is to share information about full and part-time teaching opportunities, to educate career changers on the teaching certification process, and how to successfully transition from the “real-world” to the world of trades-education.
Trades teachers are responsible to preparing lesson plans and providing students with relevant real-world, trades oriented, educational experiences using both traditional and distance learning models in order to qualify students for employment and career advancement.
Trades teachers primarily work out of two (2) main sites - Lorenzo Walker Technical College (LWTC) and Immokalee Technical College (iTECH).
Instructional/Teacher - Fast Facts:
- $47,720 annually (base: first year, 0 experience)
Benefits – Collier County is one of the last public schools systems in Florida who still pays 100% of the employee premiums for health insurance!
- 100% District-paid Medical and basic term life insurance
- Paid Personal and Sick Leave
- A part of the Florida Retirement System (FRS)
- Free Employee Assistant/Wellness and Work-Life Balance Programs
- Additional voluntary benefits (vision, dental, flexible spending account, pet insurance)
- Bachelor’s degree -> Pass FL Subject Area Exam -> Obtain FL Teaching Certificate
- Fosters student achievement and development.
- Responsible for carrying out the teaching assignment.
- Works with in cooperation with the instructional team and/or department chair in the education process.
- Collaborates with colleagues and develops lessons for the purpose of improving instruction and student performance.
- Communicates regularly with parents, administrators, and educational supports.
Contact CCPS about Careers in Trades Teaching
Main Office: (239) 377-0335
Andy Reinke - Staffing Coordinator
Phone: (239) 377-0369
Main Office: (239) 377-0900
Yolanda Flores - Administrative Director, LWTC
Phone: (239) 377-0904
Main Office: (239) 377-9900
Dorin Oxender - Director, iTECH
Phone: (239) 377-9904
The mission of LWTC is to provide rigorous and relevant educational experiences that prepare all students with the academic, technical and employability skills necessary to succeed in their chosen careers and in further postsecondary education as desired.
Career program at LWTC include the following:
- Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources
- Architecture & Construction
- Arts, A/V Technology & Communication
- Business Management & Administration
- Health Science
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Human Services
- Information Technology
- Transportation, Distribution & Logistics
The mission of iTECH is to provide rigorous and relevant real-world educational experiences using both traditional and distance learning models in order to qualify students for employment and career advancement.
Career program at iTECH include the following:
- Computer & Business
- Personal & Human Services
- Transportation & Industry