What is your child learning in the fourth grade?Here are a few examples:
- Understands the elements of Florida History from pre-Columbian cultures through the settlement of Florida, industrialization and the contemporary era.
- Recognizes Earth's 365 day revolution around the Sun and 24 hour rotation on its axis.
- Reads fluently and understands ideas that are clearly stated and ideas that are implied in a variety of texts; literary and informational.
- Strategies for multiplication of numbers up to 3 digits.
- Relates equivalent fractions, decimals and percent.
How to help your child do better
- Have your child keep a record of the amount of time he spends watching television and playing electronic games in a week. Have your child total the time for the week and show you the figures.
- Encourage your child to read and write every day about books that have been read.
- Explore you home with your child and have him identify different energy sources.
- If you have a computer in your home, have your child practice typing short responses on the computer about events and information in books. Practice keyboarding skills.
- Explore your home with your child and have your child identify different energy sources.
- Involve your child in real-life measurement and estimation situations, including finding area.
- Practice strategies or multiplication and division facts.