What is your child learning in the fifth grade?Here are a few examples:
- Understands the elements of American History from Pre-Columbian civilization through colonization, the American Revolution, Westward Expansion and the development of the United State of America.
- Investigates the greater the force applied to an object, the greater the change in motion of a given object.
- Reads text fluently and quotes accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- Strategies for division of numbers up to 4-digits.
- Adds and subtracts fractions and decimals.
How to help your child do better
- Encourage your child to independently read and write every day.
- If you have a computer in your home, have your child practice typing short responses on the computer about events and information in books that have been read. Practice keyboarding skills.
- Ask your child to develop and implement a plan to recycle resources within your home.
- Continue to reinforce basic math facts
- Discuss real world situations using positive and negative numbers.