Welcome to the Social Studies Department!Social studies may be defined as "the integrated study of the social sciences and humanities to promote civic competence." Within the school program, social studies provides coordinated, systematic study drawing upon such disciplines as anthropology, archaeology, economics, geography, history, law, philosophy, political science, psychology, religion, and sociology, as well as appropriate content from the humanities, mathematics, and natural sciences. In essence, social studies promotes knowledge of and involvement in civic affairs. And because civic issues--such as health care, crime, and foreign policy--are multidisciplinary in nature, understanding these issues is vital to our student's and our nation's future.
It is the goal of the Social Studies Department that all students will acquire the habits of mind necessary to become reflective and responsible citizens of our nation and the world.
The courses taught in Collier County are designed to encourage active learning among our students so that the students will:
- Understand the significance of the past and its influence on the present.
- Be mindful of both change and continuity in our lives
- Appreciate the challenge and opportunities created by an increasingly interdependent global community
- Recognize the personal character traits of people who have made a difference in history
- Read various types of information effectively while learning to ask appropriate questions to distinguish fact from conjecture
- Research information using a variety of sources and communicate effectively