Important Information for Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors
Dear Parents of Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors,
During these ever-changing and evolving times, we would like to thank you in advance for your patience as we attempt to communicate information. Please continue to monitor our District website, www.collierschools.com, as it is updated regularly.
4th QUARTER AND STATE ASSESSMENTS
- All K-12 schools are closed through April 15, 2020
- Beginning March 23rd, District-designed learning pathways are available: www.collierschools.com/elearns
- Beginning Monday, March 30th, teacher-directed instruction will be done through the Canvas Learning Management System
- Students WILL receive grades for their classes in the fourth quarter and they will receive a final report card at the end of the school year
- Students are expected to log in daily as each day is considered a school day
- All remaining state assessments (FSA & EOCs) are cancelled for the 2019-2020 school year
- School counselors are available for students and parents to email directly and will also be available for virtual meetings. Directions for scheduling those meetings will be communicated via various communication channels
COLLEGE ENTRANCE EXAMS (SAT AND ACT)
- March 28th Make-Up Day – Cancelled – Students whose test centers were closed, or who do not receive scores because of any irregularities, will receive their refunds from College Board within the next few weeks
- May 2 – Cancelled - Students will receive their refunds in the next couple of weeks
- June 6 – Pending
- April 4 – Cancelled - Students will receive their refunds in the next couple of weeks
- June 13 – Pending
ADVANCED PLACEMENT (AP) AND AICE EXAMS
- The AP Program has developed resources to help schools support student learning during extended closures, as well as a solution that would allow students to test at home. Please continue to look for updates on the College Board website as it has information pertaining to review materials, test dates, and procedures regarding the 2019-2020 testing process. https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/about-ap/news-changes/coronavirus-update
- For the 2019-20 exam administration only, students can take a 45-minute online exam at home. Some students may want to take the exam sooner rather than later, while the content is still fresh. Other students may want more time to practice. For each AP subject, there will be two different testing dates.
- The full exam schedule, specific free-response question types that will be on each AP Exam, and additional testing details will be available by April 3.
- Beginning Wednesday, March 25, students and schools will have access to free, live AP review lessons, delivered by AP teachers from across the country. The lessons will focus on reviewing the skills and concepts from the first 75% of the course.
- College Board has updated portfolio submission deadline extensions for AP 2-D Art and Design, 3-D Art and Design, Computer Science Principles, Drawing, Research, and Seminar courses on the website.
- We know that students are extremely concerned about their AICE assessments, particularly as they impact AICE Diplomas.
- Cambridge made the announcement on March 23rd, they will not be running international examinations in the May/June 2020 series in any country, which includes Cambridge International AS & A Level and Cambridge AICE Diploma.
- Cambridge understands that students have been working very hard toward these exams. They will be working with schools to assess students’ achievements using the best available evidence.
- Students will receive a grade and a certificate from Cambridge International, given the knowledge and skills they have acquired in their programs of study. This will ensure students do not face a disadvantage as a result of these extraordinary circumstances.
- Additional updates are pending from Cambridge and will be shared as available.
Thank you for your continued patience and flexibility while we navigate uncharted territory during these challenging times.
Kamela Patton, Ph.D.
Superintendent of Schools