Survey Period Extended to July 27 - Action Needed: Second Parent Reopening Survey
NOTE: The survey period has been extended to 7/27/20 to choose your child’s preferred instructional model for 2020-2021. You may make changes, through 7/27/20, even if you have already submitted your choice.
Dear CCPS Parent/Guardian,
We know the last few months have caused anxiety and uncertainty about what next school year will look like. Collier County Public Schools has spent the last few months extensively planning for a safe return to school.
To support these efforts, the Collier County School Board has delayed the student start date to August 19th for campuses and eCollier Academy (eCA). This revised start date will also allow for distribution of one-to-one laptops for grades 1-12 and students enrolled in eCollier Academy (eCA). Prior to school opening, please watch for date(s) to pickup student laptops. This email will be sent from your child's principal.
We have been collaborating with the Florida Department of Health-Collier (FLDOH-Collier) and the Florida Department of Education (FLDOE), listening to medical professionals, convening a community-based workgroup, multiple educational groups, and following guidelines provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) when feasible.
On July 6, 2020, the Florida Commissioner of Education issued the following statement regarding the 2020-21 school year:
“All schools open. Upon reopening in August, all school boards and charter school governing boards must open brick and mortar schools at least five days per week for all students, subject to advice and order of the Florida Department of Health, local department of health, Executive Order 20-114 and subsequent executive orders.”
In careful consultation with local healthcare experts (NCH Exposure Study, NCH Academic Research Team) and additional research, potential infectivity rate with COVID-19 is:
- 18% with NO protective measures (masks and wraparound safety glasses)
- greatly reduced (less than one percent, < 1%) with the use of masks and wraparound safety glasses in enclosed spaces (when studied in a healthcare setting)
From our constant and careful consultation with FLDOH-Collier and local medical experts, the identified risks to students and staff members will be significantly mitigated with the use of masks, wraparound safety glasses, and other sanitization measures as we reopen our campuses.
Parents that have children with medical issues should consult with their healthcare providers regarding appropriate educational settings for the 2020-21 school year.
Stephanie Vick, Director, Florida Department of Health-Collier, provided the following information (as of July 14, 2020):
- Once there is a positivity rate less than ten percent and consistently dropping for a period of at least two weeks, then protective measures may be incrementally reduced
- Proper and frequent handwashing will stay
Our goal, over time and in consultation with the FLDOH-Collier, would be to loosen protective measures, as appropriate, in schools. At the start of the school year, however, we will be following the advisement of local healthcare experts to ensure a safe and healthy environment for students and staff.
We know that there will not be one “right” instructional option for all students and families. There is much to consider in this decision-making process, and CCPS has developed four options for this coming school year to differentiate supports.
Each option is outlined below and we are asking that you let us know which option you will choose for your student(s) by July 27th. It is optimal for instructional continuity to commit to an option for a period of time, such as a grading quarter or semester, before making a change in options. Your selection will assist the District and your student’s school to finalize plans for the 2020-2021 school year.
OPTION 1 - ATTEND SCHOOL IN PERSON
This option would have your student attending school on campus daily with the following, but not exhaustive, safety precautions, to the greatest extent possible. With Option 1, you are selecting a daily, on campus model.
- All students will be required to wear masks and wraparound safety glasses
- Students will receive from their schools one (1) complimentary mask, one (1) buff, and one (1) pair of wraparound safety glasses (with an additional pair of glasses to be provided at a later time)
- All staff members, including teachers, will be required to wear masks and wraparound safety glasses in school
- Non-essential visitors will not be allowed inside school buildings (e.g., mentors, vendors, family visits)
- Students will eat breakfast and lunch in their classroom in order to avoid large groups of students gathering in one space
- Classrooms and school building furniture will be frequently cleaned
- Use of individually assigned District iPads (grades PK-K) or laptops (grades 1-12) and daily use of the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS)
- Signage to support social distancing, in addition to a wide array of other measures, are being taken to keep our students and employees safe
- Hand sanitizer stations will be located throughout each school campus
- Frequent handwashing and/or use of hand sanitizer for all students and staff is encouraged
OPTION 2 - SET/STRUCTURED VIRTUAL LEARNING
This option would have your student participating in full-time virtual learning through eCollier Academy with Collier County Public Schools (CCPS) teachers. eCollier Academy will offer online virtual instruction, serving students in Kindergarten through 12th grade! Offering local instruction and support, eCollier students will receive an innovative education in a format that best fits their needs. eCollier Academy will offer a full complement of courses, school counseling support, student activities/clubs, use of a District-issued laptop, and learning pathways personalized to fit student and family needs. Students at the middle and high school level may participate in athletics at their zoned schools.
If you would like to see a sample of a student schedule prior to making a selection please visit www.collierschools.com/reopening. With Option 2, you are selecting a set/structured, synchronous virtual learning model with a set schedule (similar to a typical school day).
- Daily academic lessons with live CCPS teacher instruction on a set schedule while following CCPS pacing guides
- Ongoing progress monitoring
- Online activities, assignments, quizzes, and weekly tests on a flexible schedule
- Flexible pacing with participation expectations
STUDENT CHARACTERISTICS FOR STRUCTURED OPTION
- Comfortable with technology
- Enjoys structure
- Strong time management skills
- Distraction-free environment
- Effective communicator
OPTION 3 - FLEXIBLE VIRTUAL LEARNING
This option would have your student participating in full-time virtual learning through eCollier Academy with Collier County Public Schools (CCPS) teachers. eCollier Academy will offer online virtual instruction, serving students in Kindergarten through 12th grade! Offering local instruction and support, eCollier students will receive an innovative education in a format that best fits their needs. eCollier Academy will offer a full complement of courses, school counseling support, student activities/clubs, use of a District-issued laptop, and learning pathways personalized to fit student and family needs.
Participation in co-curricular options (e.g. band, chorus, orchestra) is available at zoned school with home-provided transportation. Students at the middle and high school level may participate in athletics at their zoned schools. If you would like to see a sample of a student schedule prior to making a selection please visit www.collierschools.com/reopening. With Option 3, you are selecting a flexible, asynchronous virtual learning model (with regular interactions with teachers and peers).
- CCPS teachers interact periodically with students via telephone or video conference
- Online activities, assignments, quizzes, and weekly tests on a flexible schedule while following CCPS pacing guides
- Ongoing progress monitoring
STUDENT CHARACTERISTICS FOR FLEXIBLE OPTION
- Comfortable with technology
- Independent learner
- Strong time management skills
- Able to set personal deadlines
OPTION 4 - HOME EDUCATION
This option would have your student taking part in a home education program with a parent conducting the reporting, record keeping and student evaluation requirements. Current law (1002.01, F.S.) does not prescribe a particular course or curriculum and the parent does not need to be a certified teacher. With Option 4, you are selecting to home educate your child. If this option is selected, directions regarding filing an intent to home educate will be provided to the parent.
Ready to select your child's instructional model?
Once you have reviewed the four options, please click here to indicate your preference BY JULY 27, 2020 for EACH child in your home.
For more information regarding Collier County Public Schools' Reopening Plan, please review the Family Information Guide for Reopening at www.collierschools.com/reopening.
Thank you for your continued patience and flexibility as we navigate these challenging times. We look forward to seeing our CCPS Family as we start the 2020-2021 school year in August!
Dr. Kamela Patton
Superintendent of Schools